(Cyber Security Stats 2021) Technology is progressing like never before. However, this rapid advancement of technology has brought trouble in its wake. Cybercrime has advanced at a shocking rate.
The leaders of organizations are worried about the privacy of their data. Hackers who have sound technological knowledge manage to steal the most confidential data. Working remotely is becoming a rapidly increasing trend.
As a result, cyber security most important. To prevent rampant data theft, people need to be aware of the latest cyber security stats.
Recent studies have revealed that most of the organizations have unprotected data. Thousands of organizations have poor cybersecurity practices that result in tremendous data theft.
Awareness about cyber security and career opportunities available in cyber security a is the need of the hour, to prevent data theft. Knowledge of the recent cyber security stats is essential to protect data.
- Hartner, a global research and advisory firm has predicted that the cyber security market across the world will reach 170.4 billion dollars by 2022.
- 95 per cent of the security breaches occur due to human error
- The data breach investigation report of Verizon in 2020 revealed that eighty-six percent of data breaches were inspired by financial reasons. The remaining ten per cent had taken place due to cyber espionage
- Eighty-eight per cent of the businesses across the world had experienced phishing attacks in 2019
- Almost sixty-eight per cent of the business leaders agree that global cyber security threats are on the rise.
- The coat of a data breach report of IBM in 2020 had reported that organizations took 207 days to detect a security breach
- More than eighty percent of the reported cyber security threats are phishing attacks.
- Seventeen percent of the breaches involved in 2020 were were malware, 45 per cent were hacking and the remaining 22 [percent featured phishing attacks
- The average cost associated with a ransomware threat is $133,000
- 11,762 breaches have been recorded between 1st January 2005 and 31st May 2020
- In the former half of 2020, thirty-six billion records had been exposed by data breaches
- Humans and machines across the world, approximately 300 million passwords
- Only 5 percent of the folders of companies across the world are properly protected
- Eighty-eight percent of the organizations across the world had undergone spear phishing attempts in 2019
Effective Facts and Figures of Hacking
Data breaches expose confidential data. As a result of data breach, the users become victims of identity theft.
In turn, identity theft may leave the well-earned reputation of the organization in shambles. The organization may also be charged for compliance violation as a result of hacking tools and software.
A few effective cyber security stats related to hacking are as follows-
- 56 per cent of the Americans do not know what to do in case of a data breach
- 64 percent of Americans have never checked to see whether they were affected by a data breach
- 207 days had been taken on an average to identify a data breach in 2020
- 64 percent Americans never checked to find out whether they had been affected by data breach
- Marriott had reported a security breach that had impacted the data of more than 5.2 million hotel guests
- An MGM data breach in 2019 had resulted in the records of 142 million hotel guests being recorded
- A Twitter breach in 2019 had targeted 130 accounts, including those of Elon Musk and earlier presidents. As a result, attackers had swindled $121,000 in Bitcoin, through earlier transactions.
- 14.79 million consumers had been affected by the Equifax Breach. This breach cost the company more than $ 4 billion in total
- Uber had reported in 2016 that hackers had stolen information worth more than fifty-seven million riders and partners. Uber had tried to pay off the hackers to delete the stolen data
- Hackers steal seventy-five records per second.
- Mostly, 75 percent of the businesses do not have a formal cyber-attack response plan, The majority of the businesses do not know whether they prepared for a cyber-attack. The leaders of 66 percent businesses that had been attacked by hackers were not sure whether they would be able to recover their losses
- Security breaches have increased by 67 per cent since 2014 and 11 percent since 2018
A Few Scary Cyber Security Numbers –
A few scary cyber security stats are as follows-
- In the USA, cybersecurity budget is $14.98
- 300,000 new malwares are created every day
- In 2020, the average cost of data breaches is approximately 150 billion dollars
- It is possible to become an American citizen for $6,000
- Multi-factor authentication and encryption are the biggest barriers to hackers
- Cybercrime is more profitable than the international drug trade. In 2018, cyber criminals had earned approximately $600 billion. On the other hand, people involved in the international drug trade had earned $400 billion annually.
- Over the past few years, Mac OS malware has increased by 165%
- Over the past twelve months, malware has been used 71.14% of the time. It is still the most preferred distribution model
- Third-party app stores host 99.9% of the discovered mobile malware
- 98% of the mobile malware target Android devices
- The Trojan-Banker.ANdroidOS .Asacub malware application had attacked more than 250,000 unique users Malware development rates had reached an all-time high in 2015
- The USA continues to host most of the botnet control servers across the world. 36% of the servers had been hosted in America throughout the past year. The remaining 24% servers had been hosted in undefined countries.
- The two most expensive types of attacks are web-based attacks and malware. Organizations have spent $2.14 million dollars on an average to defend themselves against such types of malware.
- In 2018, 90% of the financial institutions had reported that they were being targeted by malware
- More than 18 million websites are infected by malware at a given time every week
- From 2017, the number of information stealers, miners and spyware had drastically increased. As a result, the overall business detection of malware had risen to 79%
- 34 percent of the businesses that had been affected by malware took at least a week, if not more, to regain access to lost data
- According to Verizon, 30 percent of the data breaches involve internal players
- lot devices experience 5,200 attacks every month on an average
- 90% of the remote code execution attacks are linked to crypto mining
- The total number of DDoS attacks throughout the world is expected to be 15.4 million by 2023
Industry-specific Cyber Security Statistics-
All the industries are not at equal risk from hackers and other cyber criminals. Industries which store valuable information like finance or healthcare are mostly targeted by the cyber criminals.
Generally, hackers want to steal SSN numbers, medical history and other confidential records.
Read More: Corey Harrison Net Worth
Many other industries may be at a lower risk. However, they are not entirely risk free, because hackers believe the smaller industries will have fewer protective measures.
The manufacturing companies almost account for a quarter of all the ransomware attacks.
The governmental organizations account for 13% of the ransomware attacks. Last, but not the least, the professional services account for 17% of the ransomware attacks.
Let us find out the cyber security statistics about some legendary data breaches in the history of different industries-
- In 2019, the healthcare industry had lost approximately $25 billion to ransomware attacks
- The WannaCry ransomware attack had cost the National Health Service more than $100 million
- In the last three years, more than 93% of the healthcare organizations had experienced a data breach
On an average, financial services have 352,771 exposed sensitive files. On the other hand, biotech, pharmaceutical and healthcare industries have 113,491 exposed sensitive files on an average.
So, the most shocking news is that the number of exposed sensitive files is much higher in the finance sector when compared to the other industries.
- In the year 2018, the banking sector faced the most cyber-crime costs at $18.3
- A Trojan horse virus named Ram nit had accounted for 53% of the attacks. It had greatly affected the financial sector in 2017
- Financial and the manufacturing sectors have the highest percentage of exposed sensitive files. Almost two-thirds of the financial service companies have more than 1,000 sensitive files open to each employee. The financial sector has 352,771 exposed sensitive files on an average.
- An employee working for the financial sector has access to nearly eleven million files on an average. On the other hand, employees working in the larger organizations have access to almost twenty million files
- The average cost of a financial data breach is $5.85 million
In 2018, the US government witnessed the breach of 1.2 billion records
The US government approximately allocated $18.78 billion to spend on cybersecurity in 2021
Ethical Hacking Expenditure Stats
The average expenditure to protect the organizations against cyber-crimes is increasing drastically. Cybersecurity budgeting has increased steadily. Most of the stakeholders have realized the importance of cybersecurity investments.
A few stats related to cyber security stats and expenditure are as follows-
- The average annual security expenditure behind each employee increased from $2,337 in 2019 to $2,691 in 2020
- On an average, the cost of lost business is $1.52 million.
- In 2020, the security services accounted for approximately 50 percent of cybersecurity budget
- The cost of per lost or stolen record per individual is $146 on an average
- The average cost of a malware attack on an organization is $2.6 million
- 50% of the large enterprises have started spending $1 million or more annually on security. Just 7% of the organizations are spending less than $25,000.
- This sector faced up to 78% supply chain attacks in 2019.Smaller organizations have the greatest targeted malicious email rate at 1 out of 323
Cyber Security Cost Prediction Stats-
- The cybercrime costs across the world is expected to hit $6 trillion annually by 2021
- More than 70 percent of the security executives think that their budget for the year 2021 will reduce
- The damage caused by ransomware will rise to $20 billion by 2021. After that, a business may fall prey to a ransomware attack every 11 seconds
- It is predicted that cybercrime induced damage is expected to hit $10.5 trillion annually by 2025
- The total cost of data breach in smaller companies on an average decreased from $2.74 million in 2019 to 2.35 million in 2020
- South Africa witnessed an increase the largest decrease in total cost of data breaches at 7.4%. On the other hand, Scandinavia witnessed the largest increase in largest increase in total cost of data breaches
- The total cost of cybercrime for each company shot up from $11.7 million in 2017 to 13.0 million in 2018
- The average cost in time of a malware attack is 50 days
- Expenditure in the cyber security industry reached approximately $40.8 billion in 2018
Cyber Security and Ethical Hacking Job Statistics-
It is a good sign that the cyber security budget is on the rise. As cybercrime shows an increasing trend, the attempts to provide cyber security is also shooting up.
As a result, the average salary for jobs in the domain of cyber security is also rising. People who are aspiring for jobs in the field of cyber security, need to know the following stats-
- 61% of the data cyber security professionals are dissatisfied with their jobs
- 61% of the organizations consider their cyber security applicants are not qualified
- 70% of the cyber security professionals demand that their organization is affected by a shortage of cybersecurity skills. Hence, a lot of creative solutions are necessary to combat the shortage in cybersecurity skills.
- There was a 350% growth in open cybersecurity positions from 2013 to 2021
- 40% of IT leaders claim that cybersecurity jobs are the most difficult to fill
People who are aspiring for cybersecurity jobs need to understand these cyber security statistics along with ethical hacking training course in their fingertips.
These cybersecurity statistics are only a few examples. People need to keep the updated statistics in their mind and work on them accordingly